It’s been almost a year since I’ve had my Russian piping tips out. Those that follow me on Facebook and Instagram would have seen my video piping flowers last week. I piped them all out and then popped them in the freezer to use this week.
I was unsure of how well they would defrost after I had put them on a cake, but I am pleased to tell you that it worked out really well! As I thought the roses and more “dense” flowers (without delicate stamens etc) froze and transferred the easiest.
This cake was for a wedding anniversary, a 51st! As the 50th is the golden anniversary I decided to add just a hint of gold to the cake for this year’s too.
The cake was a chocolate cake, drizzled with strawberry syrup, and layered with vanilla buttercream. The cake was covered in buttercream and detailed using an Evil Cake Genius Contour Comb (I looooove these things!!!)
All the flowers and leaves are buttercream with the gold leaves made from homemade sugar lace on a Sugarveil Leaves mat.
It’s not often that I get to make a cake (excluding birthdays) just for my family. This Easter weekend I decided to try out my Russian piping tips. I have had them for a while but haven’t had the opportunity to play with them until now.
I was amazed how quickly and easily these tips created a beautiful floral cake, all of these flowers took less than 10 minutes. I only used three of my twelve piping tips and will try the others out soon.
The main trick is to make sure that the buttercream attaches to the cake before you pull up. The three tips I used looked best kept quite short. I am guessing when I use the tulip tips that they will be best a little taller.
The only issue I had using the tips was with my soft buttercream. As the buttercream warmed, it was more difficult to produce a flower with all the details. You can see this on my cake with the roses. If I was making this cake for someone else I would have scraped the flopped flowers off and repiped As it was for my family (who didn’t even notice!) I just left them. (Please excuse the photos too, taken on my turntable!)
The cake is a Thermomix whole orange cake. I decided that we would have something other than chocolate this Easter. The side of the cake was iced in buttercream lightly, more like a naked cake. I had a thicker layer of buttercream on the top and left this in the fridge to set before piping the flowers.
Here’s a quick demo video for you.
I hope you all had a very happy and safe Easter 🐰